On Saturday, Feb. 16 at 2 p.m. at the PlainvilleHistoricCenter, a program about the Woman’s Club of Plainville will be presented by Gertrude LaCombe. One hundred years ago this group of women was instrumental in raising funds to build the Plainville Public Library. They wanted more than just a reading room for the town. It was a time when women wanted to reach out to the needs of the community. A group of 18 women joined together with the purpose of promoting the literary, social and civic interests in Plainville. The first fund raising event held at the town hall raised $116.25. This was the first of many fund raisers. By 1930, the fund had almost reached $50,000. On Aug. 8, 1931 the town gathered to dedicate the new Plainville Library. The building is handicapped accessible.
For more information, call (860) 747-6577.