Stormy weather washes out any results

PLAINVILLE – Getting baseball doubleheaders in during the summer months is sometimes a challenge with the unpredictable Mother Nature at the helm.
On Monday, July 7, the Plainville American Legion Baseball team was in the early stages of its second game against New Britain – trying to draw even in the zone standings –when the rains came crashing in to Alumni Field in Plainville.
Off an 11-1 victory over the same New Britain squad in Zone 7 action, Post 33 was looking for a repeat performance in game two.
And from the early results of the second game, Plainville was in-line to nab victory.
At that time, Post 33 – with a win – was going to even its Zone 7 ledger at 6-6 but things didn’t go according to plan.
Plainville held a quick 1-0 edge in the game before the rain, thunder, lightning, and tomfoolery arrived.
And there would be no attempt at a restart that evening.
Post 33 wasn’t even able to go through its entire batting order in the cutoff affair but still managed to grab a quick lead.
With Plainville’s Brian Dostaler on the mound, he retired New Britain in the first frame before Post 33 added a run to the scoreboard.
With one out, Sam Lindgren walked to get on board and later stole second base to get in scoring position.
Rob Pezzulo grounded out to first base for the second putout of the stanza but the crafty Lindgren made his way over to third.
From there, Tyler Favreau sent a one-hopper to right field – plating Lindgren – as the RBI hit propelled Plainville to a 1-0 after one completed frame of action.
But in the top of the second, New Britain looked poised to knot the score up but failed to do so.
First, Agustin Cruz beat out an infield hit but the ball was thrown away as the runner ended up at second base.
Michael Ortiz followed up with a ground out but Chris Carvajal drew a base-on-balls to put two runners on with one out.
A passed ball advanced the duo on the base paths and John Colon followed up by dumping a fly-ball to center for the second out.
However, Agustin was unprepared to tag-up and race for home – instead remaining at third base – off what could have been a sacrifice fly to tie the game up at 1-1.
Ian Andino ended the inning by grounding out to first base as Plainville escaped a jam and led 1-0 after 1 1/2 innings of work.
Minutes later, the rain began to pelt the field, thunder raced across the sky, and the game was quickly postponed until a later date.
NOTES…The teams tried to restart the game on Wednesday, July 16 but the contest never got off the ground.
The previous night, the rain saturated the field and by Wednesday at 5:30 p.m., the conditions were still unplayable as the first base area was still soaked and several puddles remained around the infield.
In the end, the game was called a forfeit as the rematch between the schools never took place.
And then on Friday, July 8, Post 33 dropped a tough extra inning decision to Tri-County by a 6-5 final while the following day, Plainville hung in there with non-zone challenger Bristol but fell 3-0 in the end.
Post 33 finished the campaign at 11-25.